Publisher: Human Kinetics, Inc.
Publication Date: September 15, 2017
Binding: Kobo eBook
Awareness, anticipation, physical conditioning . . . these are just some of the qualities a goaltender needs to bring onto the ice at game time. Excellence requires practice, consistency, and understanding—of the position, the situation, and your talents.
No one knows this better than Eli Wilson does. Widely recognized as the leading authority on goaltending, he has worked alongside 30 NHL goaltenders, including Carey Price, Ray Emery, Tuukka Rask, and Brian Elliott.
In Hockey Goaltending, Eli Wilson and Brian van Vliet have created the definitive guide to stopping more pucks, winning more games, and lowering your goals against average. Inside, you will find coverage on every facet of the position:
• Selection of the right equipment for fit and functionality
• Stance and presence in the net, including footwork, stick placement, and body positioning
• Puck stopping, from save selection to execution
• Postsave recovery strategies, including controlling and directing rebounds
• Tactics for breakaways, odd-man rushes, and wraparounds
• Focus and visualization methods to improve the mental game
• On- and off-ice drills and training programs for year-round conditioning to increase strength, stamina, speed, and agility
• Suggestions for building productive relationships between head coaches, goaltending coaches, and goaltenders
From skills to strategies, equipment to exercises, Hockey Goaltending covers the position like no other. Packed with drills, step-by-step instructions, photos, diagrams, and coaching tips, this book touches on every aspect of the game so you can compete at the highest level.