This authoritative book gathers together a broad range of ideas and topics that define the field. It provides clear, concise, and comprehensive coverage of all aspects of cellular physiology from fundamental concepts to more advanced topics. The Third Edition contains substantial new material. Most chapters have been thoroughly reworked. The book includes chapters on important topics such as sensory transduction, the physiology of protozoa and bacteria, the regulation of cell division, and programmed cell death.
- Completely revised and updated - includes 8 new chapters on such topics as membrane structure, intracellular chloride regulation, transport, sensory receptors, pressure, and olfactory/taste receptors
- Includes broad coverage of both animal and plant cells
- Appendixes review basics of the propagation of action potentials, electricity, and cable properties
- Authored by leading experts in the field
- Clear, concise, comprehensive coverage of all aspects of cellular physiology from fundamental concepts to more advanced topics